Iron Gate AB Valheim saw huge popularity upon its arrival in Steam Early Access in February, amassing 8 million sales last August. Even though the hype around the game has waned a bit, the developers have still been hard at work on content updates and fixes.
The game receiving various updates, such as Hearth and houseand the next Mist Being currently in development, the developers have also released a new patch for the game adding various changes.
Numbered 0.207.20, the patch adds new content, such as a new dungeon, new crafting materials, new armor sets, and more. Aside from new content, fixes and improvements such as an FPS limiter, UI fixes, single player pause feature, etc. have been fixed, along with quality of life changes.
The developers have shared the changes via patch notes in a Steam blog post, which can be read for a more detailed description of the changes. You can check out the full patch notes below.
- Added Frost Caves as a new dungeon (will only spawn in unexplored areas)
- New Enemies: Ulv, Cultist, Bat
- New Crafting Materials: Red Jute, Fenring Hair, Fenring Claw
- New armor set: Fenris Cloak, Fenris Leggings, Fenris Hood (equip them all at once for an extra bonus!)
- New weapon: Flesh Rippers (fists)
- New Building Pieces: Red Jute Rug, Red Jute Curtain, Standing Brazier
- New event: “You’ve stirred the cauldron”
Fixes and improvements:
- FPS limiter setting and option to reduce GPU usage when minimized, FPS menu capped at 60
- Various console command improvements and additions, see console help
- Fixed some dungeon parts not being fully deterministic (endings)
- Nomap mode improvements (vegvisr alternative, nomap is server setting, max distance to shout, random build/spawn rotation, ‘noportals’ command)
- Resolution now only shows refresh rate when you force exclusive fullscreen
- Various UI fixes
- Changed the name of the skill from bare hands to fists
- Helmets covering the player character’s face should now hide the beard
- “Reduce background performance” is available as a setting
- Recipes for Jack-o-Tip + Disabled Christmas Tricks
Quality of life:
- The construction marker is more subtle and indicates the rotation of the pieces
- Corpse run gives bonus weight to compensate for unequipped belt
- Crafting stackable items while having a full inventory is now possible if there are stack slots available
- Fixed a bug that sometimes prevented stackable items from being picked up when inventory was full and “Take All” was pressed in a chest
- Chat can now be closed using esc, mouse or gamepad B
- Full controller support!
- Controller legend visible in pause menu and settings
- Inputting controller text when running in Steam large image mode. The cat, characters, signs, pets, etc. can now be named using the controller.
- Controller mapping of all game features
- Context menus will now always show controller buttons when using the controller
- Alternate controller glyph style option
- Drop-down skill window with gamepad
- Crafting can be canceled if you press the button again (like with the mouse)
- Fixed some missing/misplaced gamepad tooltips
- Steam Deck controller layout showing when playing on Steam Deck
- Loads default settings suitable for the Steam Deck
- Improvements for several languages translated by the community