Are there multiple versions of the same app in Launchpad on your Mac? Here are three quick ways to fix it.
As you continue to use your Mac, you may rarely come across duplicate icons of the same app in Launchpad. This happens when the Launchpad database crashes after an app update. It’s an eyesore, but macOS usually takes care of it on its own after a while.
However, if you are in a hurry, the methods below can help you quickly remove duplicate app icons from Mac’s Launchpad.
1. Move an app to the trash and put it back.
This is a simple solution that involves moving the problematic application to the Mac’s Trash and then putting it back in the Applications folder. The action removes all duplicate Launchpad icons related to the app. Just follow these steps:
- Open a new Finder window, select Applications in the sidebar, drag the app into the Trash can. Or, Control-click the application and select Put in the trash. You may need to enter your administrator password to complete the action.
- Remove any blocked instances of the app icon from the Dock. To do this, Control-click the icon, navigate to Options, and select Remove from dock.
- Open the Trash can.
- Find and Control-click the appropriate application. Then select To put back.
- Open the Launching ramp. You will probably no longer see duplicate icons from the same app.
2. Reset the Mac’s Launchpad
If the above fix didn’t work, you should try resetting the Mac’s Launchpad. This comes at the expense of losing your folders and the custom layout of your apps. Proceed to the next method if you want to avoid this. Here’s what to do:
- Open the Mac’s Launchpad and select Other > Terminal.
- Copy and paste the following command and press Enter:
defaults write com.apple.dock ResetLaunchPad -bool true; killall Dock
- Type the administrator password for your Mac and press Enter. The Dock and Launchpad will disappear for a few seconds while your Mac resets the database.
3. Use Launchpad Manager to remove duplicates
Launchpad Manager is a third-party applet that allows you to remove any icon from the Mac’s Launchpad. It includes paid features, but you don’t have to pay anything for the task at hand. Follow these steps:
- Download and install Launchpad Manager (free and premium version available).
- Open the Launchpad and select Launch pad manager.
- Cycle through the Launchpad preview screens and the duplicate icon or icons that you want to remove.
- Select the To delete icon.
- To select Apply.
Duplicate Launchpad icons removed
The above trick should have helped remove duplicate icons from Mac’s Launchpad. If the problem persists, your best way to resolve the issue is to completely remove the offending app and reinstall it from scratch.
Need to uninstall apps on your Mac? You have several options! Here’s how to remove programs and apps from your Mac.
About the Author